2.15.2013

Love was made for me and you

I just really love Valentine's Day. I like it for a lot of reasons, most of which relate to the more 'cutesy' side of the holiday. Sure, I like the little goodies and thoughtful gestures, though to be totally honest my husband does a really great job of this year-round. A lot of people get hung up on the idea of comparing valentines to one another (I guess girls get caught up in comparing a lot of things, really) to see whose significant other is more thoughtful or romantic, but I just love the idea that God created spouses for one another and rejoice that each of us are unique and best fit for our own specific husband/wife.
Sean has been my Valentine for 10 years now! This year he recreated parts of his very first Valentines gift to me, picked up my favorite flowers (tulips) and baked a cookie cake. He writes the most thoughtful letters to me, which I cherish more than anything.
 Sean knows my love languages and speaks them often and I'm incredibly thankful to see my friends' husbands do the same for them. One of the things that I get really excited about are healthy marriages and seeing that acted out in real life. I would love for Sean and I to get involved with teaching pre-marital classes someday and I really want to do a better job supporting my friends' marriages. That was a goal of mine last year and I think I was better at it than before, but still have a lot of room for improvement. I'm thinking things like offering free babysitting, sending gift cards for a date night, writing an encouraging note when I see a kind act toward their spouse, etc. 

So anyways...the candy, sweet notes and nice dinners are all great fun, but the real challenge is making your significant other feel special and loved the other 364 days of the year. It's a challenge I'm willing to accept!

1 comment:

  1. I think you guys would be amazing pre marital counselors!

    ReplyDelete