3.25.2011

Insecurity

Not really even sure where to start with this post. Insecurities are so crippling and are only intensified in this fast-paced, completely 'wired-in' culture we live in today. Everyone has their own insecurities they battle with, but even defining mine has proven to be difficult! I know that my insecurities bring up feelings of inadequacy, jealousy, and self-pity. Who wants to live with those feelings?! Not me! Sometimes I think the blog-o-sphere and Facebook help contribute to my insecurities -- I'm sure that's true, but I also have a responsibility to believe the truth about how God made me and the ability to choose not to act on my insecurities. I picked up Beth Moore's book called So Long, Insecurity and loved it! She gets down to the core of insecurities and empowers us to do something about them. Here's a few excerpts to suck you in. :)

************************


"Insecurity is more than a complex emotion. It is a lie about our God-sanctioned condition. While something may cause us to feel sad, angry, or threatened, we have the power to choose whether or not it gets to assault our security."


Do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will recieve what he has promised. Hebrews 10:35-36


"We don't feel threatened all the time. Just too much of the time. We're up to our ears in social networking, in touch with a hundred women yet especially close to none."


"When we work from an activated mentality of God-given security, we are fully capable of thinking another woman is beautiful without concluding we are ugly. We can esteem another woman's achievements without feeling like an idiot. We can admire another woman's terrific shape without feeling like a slob. Where on earth did we come up with the idea that we have to subtract value from ourselves in order to give credit to someone else?"


We will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original. - The Message, Galatians 5:26 ******************************


What a tough subject...one I certainly can't tackle on my own. Thankfully, God is good. He's gracious. He's forgiving. He loves me.

3 comments:

  1. Can I get an amen? I was just thinking today that I should take a little break from facebook/my google reader. While they are great for keeping up with friends and other daily inspirations, I find that more often than not I get a good case of envy (hello, insecurity)from them. Whether it's not having a nice enough home, not dressing cute enough, not being thin enough, not cooking extravagant meals, not having the budget for travel, etc, comparison is everywhere in the blog-o-sphere(whether intentional or not) and it's hard not to be insecure. Thanks for the book suggestion! I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading the book right now. I haven't read many pages. I bought it for our vacation we are taking soon. I just read some really good thoughts on a blog about FB the other day. I'll give you the link. Make sure to read the comments left by others too! I hope you can access it.

    http://womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com/2011/03/spring-cleaning-your-facebook-account.html

    ReplyDelete