11.12.2009

My trip to D.C.

I'm home! Well, for a few nights anyways. I had an excellent trip to DC this week with a good friend of mine. We were brought to our nation's capitol for a conference by the Association of University Centers on Disability, the parent organization of our internships this year. (http://www.tips4kids.org/) I learned a lot, both about the field of disability and also about the history of our country.

My most favorite tourist thing I did was a Segway tour of DC...it was seriously hilarious to zoom around downtown alongside taxis and jealous pedestrians. We got to see a lot of what the city had to offer and still respect our short trip timeline. We also visited (by foot) the Georgetown Cupcakes (yummy!), the National Archives to grab a glimpse of the Declaration of Independence and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. I saw the hope diamond there...it's impressive. Possibly more impressive than the Declaration of Independence, which probably says something awful about myself. I'll add a couple of pics to this post when I move them on to my computer. I also got to visit with my cousin, Aubree, and her husband over dinner -- a treat, since I haven't seen her in at least five years and she's pregnant with twins!

Another highlight for me personally was our time in the airport in DC. They were welcoming various Honor Flights in (veterans who are visiting war memorials) with balloons, a military band, a lot of people and much cheering. I teared up as these sweet older men were surprised by the level of respect displayed by individuals in the airport -- some of them for the first time ever. I'm thankful to be back with Sean, cooking my own meals and sleeping in my own bed!

Last night I cleaned out my Facebook friends. If you can still see my profile, Congratulations, you passed the first round of cuts.

This weekend I'm looking forward to:
1. The state highschool cheerleading championships. Sean is a trainer for them and I'm just a fan who should be too old to care.
2. The National Autism Law Summit I will be attending in STL.
3. Meeting up with friends in STL for a change of scenery and night out on the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment